NO Vote 53.4%
A No campaigner in the Lisbon Treaty today accused the Yes side of “brow beating” the public into voting for the treaty and of misrepresenting key issues in the debate.
People Before Profit canvass on Grafton Street today
Richard Boyd Barrett, of the People Before Profit Alliance, today accused those campaigning for a Yes vote in Thursday’s referendum of raising “straw-man” arguments as part of their campaign tactics. He also accused some sections of the media of ignoring the real issues by over-focusing on business interests in the debate.
Women Say NO to the Lisbon Treaty
The Lisbon Treaty would accelerate the privatisation of health and social services, making access to these more difficult for women and children, a press conference heard.
The treaty would lead to a Europe that sees women as economic producers first and foremost, said Ailbhe Smith, academic and member of the People Before Profit organisation.
One of 10 women who spoke at a press conference of women against the treaty, she said the “much vaunted” Charter of Fundamental Rights failed to give new protections to women “and nowhere is the key issue of childcare addressed”.
Watch RTE NEWS REPORT here, press conference at end of report on Lisbon Treaty.
To watch the above discussion click here
Richard Boyd Barrett, from the People Before Profit Alliance in a debate with former Taoiseach Dr. Gareth Fitzgerald on RTE’s Six One News this evening called on people to read the Lisbon treaty for themselves and not to rely on the spin.
Peadar O Grady, People Before Profit Alliance on Questions and Answers last night, 19th May 2008
Brendan Young, CAEUC (Campaign Against the European Constitution)
Watch debate click here
Peadar O Grady appears at: 3 mins 41 secs
Brendan Young appears at: 11 mins 02 secs
As part of the National Forum on Europe meeting in Wexford tomorrow evening, leading No campaigner Richard Boyd Barrett of the People Before Profit Alliance will debate former Taoiseach Garrett Fitzgerald on the Lisbon Treaty.
Speaking prior to the meeting Boyd Barrett said “This is an important debate to have as the Yes side are being dishonest in the way in which they are presenting the Treaty.”
Take from Irish Times 15/05/08
- Anti-Lisbon groups plan to protest during Sarkozy’s visit
- Victory for No Campaign in Lisbon Treaty
- Use Your Vote today- Vote NO to Lisbon
- Trade unionists say No vote could bring better deal for workers
- Yes side “brow beating” the public into voting for the treaty
- Latest Poll shows establishment parties out of touch with people’s views on Lisbon- People Before Profit Alliance
- Treaty ‘will speed up’ health privatisation
- Debate on Lisbon Treaty- Rathmines Tonight
- People Before Profit Alliance on Q&A again
- Richard Boyd Barrett- Speaking in Wexford on Lisbon Treaty
- No to Lisbon www.sayno.ie Press Conference